I didn't write this although I agree with the author's assessment of
Brownback, Ray

Brownback and Stem Cell therapy

A little while back I wrote a story (never submitted) about a disabled guy
who nervously waits in line to board a sub-orbital flight from LA to London.
His secret plan after arriving in London is to "sneak" to Paris where he
will undergo stem cell therapy to restore his ability to walk. But the brown
shirted ticket taker stops him just before boarding and sends him to a
special room where he is interviewed by another brown shirt who asks him why
he's headed to London and did he have plans to go anywhere else? He says
he's just going to London to visit friends and will return to LA. The brown
shirt doesn't believe him and sends him back into the lobby revoking his
boarding pass, assigns him an escort and enters him into the national
database so that he would forever be banned from international travel. Stem
cell therapy was, of course, illegal in the U.S. ever since the passing of
the Brownback anti-stem cell bill.

Senator Brownback was the inspiration for the story--he wants to ban all
research and treatment in ESC and theraputic cloning, violation of which,
including treatment in another country, would carry a $1 million fine and 10
years in jail. He has just announced his run for president. He won't win,
but maybe it will have the side effect of him leaving the senate (to run for
president). We can only hope.

Brownback, on the surface, may appear to most Kansans as a somewhat sensible
politician, however, it's well known that he's actually a Dominionist, along
with the likes of D. James Kennedy and others who are anti-science and will
set the country back 500 years in an effort toward making this country a
theocracy. Brownback makes Bush look like a liberal.

Name: ericreynolds