  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:09 PM
  Subject: Wake Forest School of Medicine

  Hello!

  I am very upset about the two latest Sunrise stories and have started to write about it, but I am very tired.  I came into my e-mail a few minutes ago and found the article about Stem Cells.  And I am so angry.  So, I vented on the Wake Forrest School of Medicine's web site.

  It might be helpful if you too wrote a note to that School.  Thank you if you do and thank you for posting that on the board.

  Good night!

  Greta

  I just received the following e-mail from somebody in my Internet Parkinson's support group:

  "Scientists protest 'Misrepresentation' as Senate Vote Looms" by Constance Holden in which she says that:

   "As part of that effort, the White House Domestic Policy Council issued a new report on 10 January to promote methods of getting stem cells that don't harm embryos. The report, Advancing Stem Cell Science Without Destroying Human Life, suggests that a variety of "non-embryo-destructive" approaches may prove capable of creating cell lines with all the potential of ES cell lines. It repeatedly mentions a new study by scientists at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, who reported in the January issue of Nature Biotechnology that stem cells found in human amniotic fluid have many of the same qualities as ES cells (Science, 12 January, p. 170). The White House report also touts adult stem cells,  saying some "may be pluripotent," and suggests that these could be adequate to treat Parkinson's disease and other conditions for which ES cells have been held up as the great hope. Also put forth are potential alternative sources for pluripotent ES-like cells, advanced in the past by the President's Council on Bioethics, which include the possibility of getting viable cells from dead embryos or through somatic cell "de-differentiation."

  Scientists have already reacted strongly to some of the material in the report."

  Is it true that you have written such a report?  If so, shame on you.

  Inasmuch as my nephews and my niece are alumni of your University, I am dismayed that you put out such a report.  My husband (their uncle) died of Parkinson's on November 15, 2006.  I will of course post this e-mail on the Board of my support group.

  Greta Swinnen Crais

  Full text follows:

  Scientists Protest 'Misrepresentation' as Senate Vote Looms

  Constance Holden
    Several leading scientists are charging that the White House has
  misrepresented their research in an attempt to influence the ongoing stem
  cell debate in Congress.

  On 11 January, the U.S. House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to
  expand the number of human embryonic stem (ES) cell lines available to
  federally funded researchers. The bill, designated H.R. 3 and considered a
  top priority in the new Democrat-controlled Congress, passed 253 to 174--a
  significant jump in support from May 2005 when the same bill passed by 238
  to 194. But it still falls more than 30 votes short of the two-thirds
  needed to override a presidential veto.

  With the Senate expected to vote on the same measure next month, the stage
  is set for a replay of the veto dealt by President George W. Bush last
  July. The White House has rebuffed attempts by the bill's sponsors to meet
  with the president, and it's fighting hard to cast the debate in its own
  terms.

[...]

  report. Three Harvard stem cell researchers--Kevin Eggan, Chad Cowan, and
  Douglas Melton--wrote to the sponsors of H.R. 3 complaining of the "clear
  misrepresentation of our work" in the document, which heavily cites Eggan
  and Cowan. "We are surprised to see our work on reprogramming adult stem
  cells used to support arguments that research involving human embryonic
  stem cells is unnecessary," they wrote. "Our work directly involves the
  use of human embryonic stem cells … [and] is precisely the type of
  research that is currently being harmed by" the president's policy.

  Anthony Atala, lead author of the amniotic cell paper, also feels that his
  work is being misinterpreted. Opponents of H.R. 3 have seized upon the
  report, which appeared on the eve of the House debate, and are citing it
  as further evidence that noncontroversial cell types can substitute for ES
  cells. Atala wrote a letter to the bill's sponsors emphasizing that that
  is not the case.

  More friction may be in store: According to The Wall Street Journal,
  presidential aides are drafting a possible executive order favoring
  alternative sources, although a White House spokesperson says they have
  nothing to announce at present.

  The focus of the debate now turns to the Senate, which passed the same
  bill (now labeled S. 5) in the last Congress by a vote of 63 to 37. Many
  estimates put the count at 66 in favor--one vote short of a veto override.
  But the bill's advocates think there might be a chance of avoiding a veto,
  because Senate rules will allow for amendments. Certain changes could make
  the bill more palatable to the president--such as adding provisions for
  more ethical oversight; a program to promote embryo adoption; or even a
  new, later deadline for cells that are eligible for federal funding.
  (Currently, cells have to have been derived by 9 August 2001 to qualify.)

  Still, many see another veto as the likely outcome. But stem cell
  advocates are convinced that public opinion is increasingly on their side.
  "This is an issue that will not go away," says one of the bill's sponsors,
  Representative Diana DeGette (D-CO). Until it becomes law, "we intend to

  introduce it over and over."