I am a 49 year old who has had PD from the age of 16. diagnosed at the age
of 22 in 1980. I would like to know how old is Nina which wrote:

From: [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])

When I was diagnosed twenty one years ago my neurologist said with
all the research being done and the new drugs, that if I had to have
a neurological disease, Parkinson’s was the one to have.  Am I  lucky
or what?  I’ve bought raffle tickets, played bingo, entered  all kinds
of contests and have never won anything; but for some  unknown reason
my ticket to join the Parkinson Parade was  picked.  And it changed my
life!
For some reason, when I am  asked “How Parkinson’s has affected my
life, I seem to have a problem  coming up with a quick answer.  I
tried to figure out why that  should be such a hard question for
someone who has lived with  Parkinson’s and worked for the Parkinson’s
community for 21  years.
Over the years my symptoms have multiplied and worsened.   Because
there is not a day that goes by that allows me to forget I  have
Parkinson’s, I often reflect on a story that makes me smile  and
reminds me of the difference in being a pessimist or an  optimist.
A young boy, placed in a room filled full with toys, sat in  the
middle of the room without touching one of them.  There were  so many
he couldn’t decide which to play with.  A second little  boy was
placed in a room full of horse manure.  He dove in and  tossed it one
way, then another.  After about an hour, as he was  dragged from the
room, he was heard crying, “Wait…with all that horse  manure, there
must be a pony in there somewhere!”  My way of  living with a body
that reminds me every three hours to take  medications is to keep
looking for the pony.
Because Parkinson’s is  usually described as “progressive,”
“debilitating” and “incurable” I  know the problems I face today will
seem inconsequential tomorrow, but  I refuse to feel “debilitated.”  I
prefer not to dwell upon the  negatives that make my life difficult,
but rather upon the positives  that make my life full.
·    While taking medication  every two hours may force me to live
by the clock, I’m grateful I live  in a time when there are
medications available.  Without the  chemical camouflage from the
cocktail of medications I take, I  wouldn’t be able to walk at all.
·    Although my symptoms first  forced me to give up tennis and
skiing and then later, give up my  walker for a scooter when the
medications don’t work, I am,  nonetheless grateful to have the mobility.
·    Although I hate  seeing a photo or video of myself with my body
contorted or moving  abnormally, at least it opens an opportunity to
educate someone about  Parkinson’s.
·    Although I’m afraid I’ll lose my balance and fall  when I lean
over for a hug, I love that someone wants to give me a  hug.
I could go on, but you get the idea.  I guess you could say  that
Parkinson’s has brought facets to my life that I never could  have
foreseen– while it has done a lot to me, it’s done a lot for  me.
There is no doubt that Parkinson’s has changed my  life.  It would be
foolish of me to say I’m lucky that I have an  incurable, progressive,
degenerative disease, but…
·Without  Parkinson’s, I wouldn’t write HAPS monthly newsletter for
2300, which  has given me a personal way to reach out and touch
thousands and in  return, so many have reached back and touched me.
Without Parkinson’s, I  would have missed the opportunity of meeting
some of the most  courageous, inspiring, amazing people I know.
Without Parkinson’s, I would  never have had the PASSION or
opportunity to fight for and represent  the Parkinson community with
legislators in Austin and Washington, or  help co-found two
organizations involved with medical research that  give the hope of
removing the word “incurable” from the description of  Parkinson’s.
And with Parkinson’s, the love and devotion that Joe, my husband  of
forty-four years, and I have shared has become even greater  because
of our commitment to fight the fight and work toward that  common goal.
Life is similar to a game of cards.  We have no control  over the hand
dealt us.  However, we do have control over the way  we play the
hand.  There's no point in blaming the dealer for a  bad hand.  The
trick is to play it out with all the skill and  determination we
possess.  I’m not smart enough to find a cure  for this disease, but I
am determined to do my best to make it  possible for some researcher
somewhere to find a cure.
In short, I  decided that if I have to ride in the Parade, I’d prefer
to do it on a  pony!