Thanks for the response Mr. Smith.

I talked to Turner on 3-24-06 about a year ago and  he seemed down, struggling like me.   He opined that  Levesque's Phase II was stalled due to lack of  money.  A couple of weeks ago, I emailed Levesque at NeuroGeneration, a company of which he is a VP, and he told me in about 6-8 months their lab would be up to FDA standards and I guess  Phase II would be a go.

I knew about all this some years ago as I called Levesque's office in the spring of 2003 to inquire about it, but was steered to DBS which I had in June and September 2003.  Turner appeared before the Senate in 2004.  You need to update your information about him.

What I object to is him and others being presented as "cured".  During an argument about this on a blog,  a person admitted that after viewing the very recent "Adult Stem Cells Nine Faces of Success" it did appear that Turner no longer had PD.

We in the PD community assumed that cell replacement did not address the underlying disease process of Turner's Parkinson's and this is a reason scientists want to study ESCs, to learn how cells behave to cause disease.

I do not have hope that I will be cured by anything.  I'm 71 years old and have had PD 11 years.  Everyone with this disease is different with respect to reaction to meds and progression of the disease.  What my hope is, is that someday no one will ever have this or other diseases or injuries that take your life while you are still alive.

I do not oppose adult stem cell research, but neither do I object to embryonic stem cell research.  I don't think we will know what treatment works for which disease until the research is done.  Most opponents of ESCR have a religious objection to manipulating germ cells and they have been successful in blocking it.

Patricia Payne and her husband Richard are Roman Catholics who feel ESCR is murder.   He makes religious films for the Roman Catholic Church.  He has not answered my email inquiring about his wife's well-being.  I don't object to their beliefs - I object to their beliefs determining the kind of science that will be pursued in this country.

Why are 518 scientific organizations, patient advocacy groups, universities and the Episcopal Church on record as supporters of ESCR and 17 right-wing theocratic groups opposed to it.

Why  Prentice used the Amgen study I have no idea.  But I do know people who were participants in it and they say this growth factor is great.

Perhaps you could tell me how much the feds are spending on ASCR.

I hope that in your book you note that embryonic stem cells were first identified in 1998 and you don't present Turner as cured.  As a person with Parkinson's I am not grateful for the crumbs of reprieves and Turner didn't sound too enthused a year ago either, but that is just me, I have a bad attitude.

Rayilyn Brown
Surprise AZ
rayilynlee@cox..net