I think all REED editors need to be aware of this!

Abigail

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:    How to help re British Library cuts
From:   [log in to unmask]
Date:   February 5, 2007 8:22:42 AM EST (CA)

With apologies for cross-posting.

The following has been posted on the Rare Books list Exlibris; it   was
copied to the list by a former member of the BL staff:

"The British Library itself has distributed the following notice in  its
reading rooms:

Readers may have read in the newspapers that the British Library may
have to start charging for access to the reading rooms. We are currently
working with DCMS [the UK government Department for "Culture", Media and
Sport]  to assist them in making the best case  for the British Library
in the current public sector spending review.  They will present our
case to the Treasury over the next few weeks  and months. However all
commentators agree that the current economic climate dictates that this
will be a tight settlement.
You probably want to know how best to support us at this point. We would
be pleased if you would let us know why the British Library is important
to you and give us permission to use your letter in our campaign. Please
e-mail [log in to unmask] with your name, contact number and message,
or write to Lynne Brindley, Chief Executive, The British Library, 96
Euston Road, London NW1 2D8.
Thank you. Lynne Brindley"

I urge everyone who can do so to write to Lynne Brindley with  detailed
support for the BL, and, as I mentioned in my last post, to  protest
strongly to http://www.culture.gov.uk/global/ContactUs/  My  morning
newspaper here in Canada carries the information that the  cost of the
London Olympics (2012) has doubled and could reach as  much as 9 billion
pounds. Though responses to DCMS need not over- emphasise the possible
conflict with sport (or they will likely be  discounted given that
department's focus) it is useful to keep in  mind the "current economic
climate" and the  "tight settlement"  Brindley expects, and to consider
how it will affect us all. The  potential loss/damage to the book stock,
and the  closing of  Colindale, are the threats that are likely to cause
the biggest harm,  since unlike other possible cuts once in place they
cannot be  reversed. This is a scholarly issue of great concern, and I
urge  everyone who cares about scholarship and the history of this great
  library to make their concern felt both to the BL (in positive terms)
  and to DCMS (any terms you choose!).

Germaine Warkentin, Professor Emeritus of English, University of Toronto

--
Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada