Further evidence beyond Epicene, 5.1 (I incorrectly mentioned act 4
earlier):  Aubrey mentions that Thomas Hobbes carried pen and ink in the
handle of his walking stick. One of the characters in Epicene asks if
Daw carries his pen and ink in the haft of his knife, but it turns out
he has a "box of instruments" that he carries with him.

Good luck,

Helen