Further evidence beyond Epicene, 5.1 (I incorrectly mentioned act 4 earlier):  Aubrey mentions that Thomas Hobbes carried pen and ink in the handle of his walking stick. One of the characters in Epicene asks if Daw carries his pen and ink in the haft of his knife, but it turns out he has a "box of instruments" that he carries with him.

Good luck,

Helen

Robert Tittler wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Thanks, Helen; this is very useful indeed.  Most of the evidence presented
in this essay is drawn from plays, though this play is not cited.  But
these dramatic references further beg the question of whether the
playwright is making this up, or has actually seen such a practice.  Still,
a very valuable reference.,

  Many thanks and best wishes!

Bob