Last week I emailed you about writing to six senators to support S5.  There
are seven - Johnny Isakson is the one I left out.  I have written to and
called all of them, but I live in Arizona and a letter from those of you in
Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Minnesota, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and
New Hampshire, would carry a lot more weight than mine.  Won't you please
join our effort to get a veto-proof Congress?  I will be happy to help
anyone who thinks they need it, although a simple "support S5" would be
sufficient.  Remember, as Don C. Reed  has said, "the only letter we can be
sure has no influence is the one that isn't written."

Amy Daly of Americans for Stem Cell Therapies & Cures sent me the
information below and has attached more info and talking points.  If you
want to see them let me know.
Ray

"Right now our focus is on educating seven Senators who may be open to
switching to a Yes vote on S5. I know you live in Arizona, and so a letter
from you is taken a bit less seriously than one from a constituent, but if
you wanted to write letters to these senators and encourage them to vote Yes
on S5, I don't think it could hurt.

Please pass this on to your network of people who could do the same. I have
listed all seven Senators at the end of this email in case you have contacts
in those seven states who may want to help with this effort.

As you may know, the success of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act (S.
5) will depend on one Senator's vote. Our best count of the "Yes" votes in
the Senate is currently 66, and we need 67 to over-ride President Bush's
expected veto. One more yes vote in the Senate could pay huge dividends in
the long haul as their veto-override majority has huge symbolic importance.
A veto-proof majority in the Senate sends a strong message that this federal
legislation is moving forward and will provide added pressure on the
President and opposition in the House to not be the reason why this
legislation goes through.

Unfortunately, the Senators below have not yet agreed to support the
promising research. One of their colleagues, Senator Coleman, has proposed a
"substitute" bill, authorizing $5 billion dollars in various forms of
alternative research. This well-meant but mistaken legislation is no
substitute for Senate Bill 5 and we fear that these Senators may believe
that it is.

These Senators need to be aware that:

To our knowledge, not one of the nation's preeminent scientists regard any
form of "alternative" stem cell research as a substitute for embryonic. (See
attached statements from authorities such as Drs. Kevin Eggan and Anthony
Atala, leaders in the field of alternative stem cell research.)

Medical decisions should be made by you, your family and your doctor.
Political leaders should not be cutting families off from access to this
lifesaving research, but instead leading the effort to fund this research.
It is a family's right to decide and choose the best medical care for their
loved ones.

The American people overwhelmingly support embryonic stem cell research. Not
only are they impressed by the science itself, but they resent the
restrictions currently imposed; restrictions on federal funds to embryonic
stem cell research denies every family the right to access the best medical
treatment and cures for their loved ones. This support for embryonic stem
cell research manifested itself in major victories by pro-stem cell research
candidates in the 2006 midterm Election.

Non-embryonic stem cell research is already heavily funded. White House
documents reveal a preference of nearly 20-1 for funding alternative stem
cell research over embryonic.

Senator Coleman's bill cannot be accepted as a reason to deny the Stem Cell
Research Enhancement Act.

We urge you to contact these Senators, requesting their "Yes" votes for the
Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give!

Best regards,
Amy

Seven Senators who need education:

Lindsey Graham: South Carolina. Phone: (202) 224-5972  FAX: (202) 224-3808
Address: 290 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20510
http://lgraham.senate.gov/index.cfm?mode=contactform

Johnny Isakson: Georgia. Phone: (202) 224-3643  FAX: (202) 228-0724
Address: 120 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20510
http://isakson.senate.gov/contact.cfm

Bob Casey: Pennsylvania  Phone: (202) 224-6324. FAX: (202) 228-0604
Address: B-40 Dirksen Senate Building, Washington, D.C. 20510
http://casey.senate.gov/contact.cfm

Norm Coleman: Minnesota (202) 224-5641  FAX: (202) 224-1152
Address: 320 Senate Hart Office Building, Washington, D. C. 20510
http://coleman.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm

John Sununu: New Hampshire  Phone: (202) 224-2841 FAX: (202) 228-4131
Address: 111 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20510
http://www.sununu.senate.gov/webform.html

Bob Corker: Tennessee   Phone: (202) 224-3344  FAX: (202) 228-1264
Address: B-40A Dirksen Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20510
http://www3.capwiz.com/mygov/mailapp/

Richard Shelby: Alabama. Phone: (202) 224-5744    FAX: (202) 224-3416
Address: 110 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20510

Amy Daly, RN
(650) 812-9303