Entry for February 17, 2007
Dear Tracy:
Thank you for contacting me regarding stem cell research. I share your
concern, and am proud to be a cosponsor of S.5/H.R.3 (S.471/H.R.810 during
the 109th Congress), the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2007. This
bill would lift the restriction on stem cell lines derived after August 9,
2001.
President Bushâ?Ts policy stalls progress by limiting the availability of
stem cell lines. The implemented policy intended to make 78 embryonic stem
cell lines available for research. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen
barriers, the National Institute of Health estimates that only19 cell lines
are available today. This is far below what is necessary for effective
research. Expanding the number of stem cell lines that are eligible for
federally funded research is crucial for advancing the treatments for a wide
range of diseases, and for bringing us closer to developing cures.
During the 109th Congress, a year after then-Majority Leader Bill Frist
(R-TN) expressed his public support for S.471/H.R.810, the bill finally came
to the Senate floor for consideration. The bill, which had passed out of the
House of Representatives in May 2005, passed the Senate with a 63-37 vote.
Many senators with solid "pro-life" voting records joined me in voting for
this bill, which demonstrates that support for increased stem cell research
has diverged from the traditional pro-life debate. My remarks on the Senate
floor can be found on my website, www.obama.senate.gov, in the News Room
section.
On July 19, 2006, President Bush vetoed this legislation. This was the first
time during his tenure that the President used his veto power. The vast
majority of excess fertilized eggs, from which embryonic stem cells are
derived, are discarded and serve no utility. It is a shame to have such
potential for medical advancements and lifesaving cures literally thrown
away as the clock is ticks for so many people suffering from Parkinsonâ?Ts,
Juvenile Diabetes, and many other disorders. I am extremely disappointed in
the President's decision, and hope he would reconsider if and when this
legislation passes out of Congress again. The fight is far from over.
Again, Tracy, thank you for contacting me. Please stay in touch in the days
to come.
Sincerely,
Barack Obama
United States Senator