Parkinson's disease test as cheap as a chip
 Clara Pirani
  FEBRUARY 22, 2007
  AUSTRALIAN researchers have developed an inexpensive test to diagnose
Parkinson's disease that could replace the existing test, which is rarely
used because it costs $4000.

 Many patients cannot afford the current DNA test, which is not covered by
Medicare.
Instead, doctors rely on their own observations to diagnose the disease,
raising concerns that some patients are being misdiagnosed.
Using a tiny silicon chip, researchers at the Howard Florey Institute in
Melbourne have created a genetic test that costs $500.
"The existing test was developed about 35 years ago and it's a very expensive
form of DNA sequencing," said Justin Rubio, head of neurogenetics laboratory
at the Howard Florey Institute.

  "It's mostly used for research because it's so expensive.
"The existing test allows people to be tested for six known Parkinson's genes,
but our chip lets us test for up to 17 genes that are suspected to be linked
to Parkinson's."
Dr Rubio's team has recruited 530 people with Parkinson's disease to test the
accuracy of the device.
"We know the technology works, it's now just a matter of finding out how
accurate it is compared to the existing test," Dr Rubio said.
About 100,000 Australians have Parkinson's disease. It is the second-most
common neurodegenerative disease after Alzheimer's disease.
"As the test is relatively cheap and only involves collecting a sample of
blood or saliva, it could also be made available to the patient's relatives
and those at risk of developing Parkinson's disease," Dr Rubio said.
"We extract DNA from a saliva sample, then put those gene sequences on to the
chip and the chip tells us whether there are changes to those genes that
correlate to that person having Parkinson's disease.
"The results are available within a week."
Dr Rubio believes the technology could also lead to genetic testing for other
diseases.
"We think the information on the chip will also help us to predict how people
will respond to treatment and tailor treatments to individual patients," he
said.
The Australian