Senate backs stem cell research
Bill would fund, regulate grants, ban human cloning
By DANA HEUPEL
STATE CAPITOL BUREAU
Published Saturday, February 24, 2007
After passionate debate about when biological life begins, the Illinois
Senate passed legislation Friday to encourage research into embryonic and
other types of stem cells.

Senate Bill 4, which succeeded 35-23, would cement into law a 2005 executive
order by Gov. Rod Blagojevich that establishes a grant program for stem cell
research.
It also would require financial disclosures from those who give and get
grants and would formally ban human cloning.
"We will be giving scientists the ability to further pursue their work in a
moral and ethical framework and pursue the cures for many diseases and
conditions," said Sen. Jeff Schoenberg, D-Evanston, the sponsor of the bill.
Separate legislation would allocate $25 million for grants to stem cell
researchers and institutions. Lawmakers have not yet voted on whether to
approve that amount.
Debate on the Senate floor ranged from philosophical to political.
"I don't know anyone ... who does not fully and wholeheartedly, with 100
percent of their being, support stem cell research," said Sen. Dale Righter,
R-Mattoon. However, he said, it is "embryonic stem cell research that many
have a problem with, and I'm one of those individuals."
Righter said he and others believe scientists researching embryonic stem
cells destroy biological material that "is the creation of life, even if
it's in its earliest hours or earliest days."
He also questioned the wisdom of using public funds to support
research that so far has not cured any diseases.
Several opponents said they plan to vote instead for legislation to
establish a statewide network of banks holding blood from umbilical cords
donated by parents after a birth. Stem cells from that blood would be used
for transplantation or research.
Others said they also have no objections to research on stem cells from
adults or amniotic fluid.
Supporters said stem cells from embryos offer the most promise because they
could be stimulated to replace diseased tissue in any part of the body.
Researchers hope cures could be found for diseases such as diabetes,
Alzheimer's and multiple sclerosis.
"What we're doing today is a step in a very, very important direction that's
going to mean hope and longer lives and better health for many, many people
in Illinois," said Sen. Carol Ronen, D-Chicago.
Sen. Kirk Dillard, R-Hinsdale, called the issue "a very difficult vote for
me."
"I hold what I call a pro-life philosophy as a legislator," he said, but
supported SB4 because "embryos do hold a different type of research
possibility."
Embryos left over after in vitro fertilization are discarded, Dillard noted,
adding, "I really believe that my maker would want me to use these embryos
to sustain and improve human life for those who have disease, rather than
dumping these embryos down a sewer, a drain or a toilet."
Other supporters said providing a favorable climate for stem cell research
could have economic benefits for the state, attracting researchers and jobs.
Schoenberg said he and Comptroller Dan Hynes had campaigned last fall for
Democratic candidates who supported stem cell research. Those elected
provided the needed votes for the bill, he said. Similar legislation
received only 28 votes in 2004, two shy of the number needed to pass.
"We knew the day after the election that we had votes in the Illinois
Senate," Hynes said after Friday's Senate action.
The bill now goes to the House, where there already is similar legislation
sponsored by Republican Leader Tom Cross of Oswego.
Cross said he expects success in that Democratically controlled chamber as
well.
"Remember, we passed a stem cell bill out of the House 21/2 or three years
ago, so the votes were there, and the stumbling block was (in the Senate).
So now that they've passed one, I think our roll call will actually be a
little better than what it was a couple of years ago."
Sen. David Koehler, D-Peoria, was the only central Illinois lawmaker to vote
in favor of the legislation.
Sens. Deanna Demuzio, D-Carlinville, and John Sullivan, D-Rushville, both
said they opposed the bill on ethical grounds.
Adriana Colindres of the State Capitol Bureau contributed to this report.
Dana Heupel can be reached at 788-1518 or [log in to unmask]