Results so far have been encouraging. Twelve patients who received the
surgery in Phase I trials at the University of California-San Francisco and
Rush University Medical Center in Chicago reported a 40 percent improvement
in their motor skills.
Side effects included mild to moderate temporary dyskinesia, or involuntary
movement. This was treated successfully by readjusting the dosage of
traditional Parkinson's medications, Boulis said.
Another advantage of CERE-120: "You don't have a wire and battery in your
body," Boulis said, referring to equipment left over from deep-brain
stimulation, another Parkinson's treatment.
Fifty-one participants nationwide are being sought for the trial's second
phase, and enrollment is still open. Seventeen patients will be part of a
control group and not receive CERE-120 initially.
In addition to the work in Cleveland, San Francisco and Chicago, trials are
taking place in Birmingham, Ala.; New York; Durham, N.C.; Portland, Ore.;
Houston; and Philadelphia.
"We've got to try every avenue there is, and we've got to try them on
people," Brandt said. "Everybody's hoping one of them will break through."
To be eligible for the trial, participants must be 35 to 75 years old, have
had the disease for five years and have pursued dissimilar treatments
without success. Exclusionary factors include atypical forms of the disease,
chemotherapy, history of drug or alcohol abuse and the presence of medical
conditions that could complicate surgery.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation says it has contributed more than $2.6 million
in support of the trials.
To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:
[log in to unmask], 216-999-3906
Previous  | 1 | 2