Hi Kate.  Stephen Kuntz at the Academic Support Centre at the U of A
tutors and offers writing courses and private tutoring for both
undergrad & grad students.  Stephen is a former EAP instructor with
Faculty of Extension so I believe he takes a linguistic approach to
genre instruction.  You could contact him directly at
[log in to unmask]  Writing assistance is also provided to grad
students at the Dept. of Secondary Education at the U of A as well,
although I do not know the details of the tutoring sessions.  Finally,
and although perhaps not directly related, Faculty of Extension,
English Language Program has been offering an evening thesis writing
course; however, to my knowledge, there has never been enough
enrollment for the course to actually run.  Hope this helps. Gloria
Michalchuk