Stem cell bills would have wide benefits
March 2, 2007
By Don C. Reed
If a Californian may be allowed to weigh in on the great Illinois stem cell
debate, I would just like to say thank you.
The help of Illinois' scientists would be so greatly appreciated, by all who
(like my family) have loved ones with incurable disease or disability.
My son Roman Reed was paralyzed in a college football accident 12 years ago.
We passed a research law named after him, which sponsored the first
state-funded embryonic stem cell research, and on March 1, 2002, I stood in
the Reeve/Irvine Research Center, (UC Irvine) and held in my hands a
laboratory rat that had been paralyzed but now walked again. And this while
my paralyzed son sat in his wheelchairjust a few feet away. It was like I
held the future in my hands.
That research must go forward.
The stem cell research bills under consideration by your Legislature now (HB
138 and SB 4) will have a lasting and positive impact benefiting all.
We in California appreciate your efforts more than you ever can know. We are
doing what we can, but we need help.
I would ask every Illinoisan to investigate and support your research bills.

Don C. Reed is a resident of Fremont, Calif.