Saturday, March 03, 2007
No One Said it Would be Easy
In the event you missed this February 28 NYT story, it's worth reading,
especially the conclusion ...
This is the second time that a major stem cell paper has come under
criticism, the previous episode involving the collapse last year of Hwang
Woo-suk's claims to have generated embryonic stem cell lines from adults.
Although Dr. Hwang's case involved fraud and belongs in a different
category, the problems with the two papers underline the difficulty of
working with stem cells and the immaturity of the field, despite the large
sums of money being invested in it.
Two thoughts.
First, the next time opponents of embryonic stem-cell research argue that
this work should not continue because it has not yet produced results,
remind them that we're not dealing with a child's jigsaw puzzle. Progress
with the fundamental and inherently complex building blocks of life takes
time.
Second, maybe "the difficulty of working with stem cells" would be lessened
if we could find a way to un-politicize the issue and let scientists do
their jobs without fear of theocratic retribution.