I think it is important to keep in mind that the diseases that are listed as having been cured are all caused by either bacteria or a virus.

  The fact that we know that they are caused by bacteria/viruses is huge - it means we know what causes them, which means researchers knew what the target was they were figuring out how to fight the disease. Maybe someone else can think of something, but I can't think of a single neurological disease that has been cured, and in most cases, they still don't have a clue what causes them, which means they don't even have a target.

  In other words, if we are talking tuberculosis and PD, we are talking apples and oranges (even if it turns out that PD is caused by a bacteria or a virus, the fact that researchers haven't figured that out yet is still an indication of how far behind the progress made with polio, for example, the field of PD research is.)

  It is possible that a cure will be discovered tomorrow, and I am all for engaging in its pursuit. However, it is entirely possible, dare I even say likely, that a cure will not be discovered tomorrow, or next year, in the next couple of decades - or even longer.

  How long can you last on current PD therapies?

  It is shortsighted of us to direct all of our hope and energy and money to the pursuit of a cure if that results in a diminished focus on developing better therapies. We need to focus on both.

  After all, just think how much more fun it would be waiting for that day if we had therapies that actually worked for longer than a few years?

"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Thank you, Bill.
I think its a much needed resource as well.

To all parkinsn list members,
The Pipeline Project was created by and is run by PWP - we are all
volunteers. We are desperately in need of help to keep it going. We
need people who can write or do research for the web site and
treatment database, who can do web site editing and design, and
those with scientific or medical background who can advise us. We
welcome anyone who would like to learn about and help educate others
on new treatment development and why "40 years later" there still is
no cure for PD. We need people who would like to express the "voice
of the patient" to PD researchers and pharmaceutical companies. We
encourage PWP to take part in clinical trials .

If anyone would like to know more about the Parkinson Pipeline
Project or volunteer to join us, please contact me.
Thanks,
Linda

-- "Dr. William M. Isbell" wrote:
I want to thank you for the heads-up on Phyllis Richman's article
. Also, the article led me to the Pipeline project, which is an
extraordinary asset for us PWP's

Regards,

Bill

William M. Isbell, Dr./Engineering
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At 08:13 PM 3/3/2007, you wrote:
>There's an excellent article on Parkinson's by Phyllis Richman in
>Sunday's Washington Post : 40 Years Later, Still No Cure. see:
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
dyn/content/article/2007/03/02/AR200703
-
>To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to: