The following op-ed appeared in the Oakland Tribune on Monday.
Tony Mazzaschi
AAMC
Unlocking the promise of embryonic stem cells
03/12/2007
AS a hockey player, the challenge for Todd Bischoff was to race down the ice
and shoot at the goal. These days, just tying his shoes can be a challenge.
That's because at 47, Bischoff has young-onset Parkinson's disease. The
cause is unknown and there is no cure. The only thing this Ontario resident
knows for sure: "Eventually, I'll become a prisoner in my own body."

But there is hope: Parkinson's mysteries might be unlocked through embryonic
stem cell research. This research holds great promise because embryonic stem
cells can become any kind of cell in the body.

Research could one day open the door to treatments or cures for Parkinson's,
diabetes, cancer and spinal-cord injuries. But, today, our stem cell
researchers are handcuffed by an unworkable policy. It is time to change
this.
A bill to broadly expand federally funded stem cell research is now moving
through Congress. It passed the House by a wide margin in January and goes
before the Senate soon. I hope my colleagues support it - and I hope
President Bush signs it into law.

If you've watched Michael J. Fox fight Parkinson's, you can't help but
admire his courage and dignity. If you've watched a loved one struggle with
a debilitating disease, you know how important this research is.

The legislation is simple. It states that embryos set to be discarded from
in-vitro fertilization clinics may be used in federally funded stem cell
research.

It has many safeguards: Embryos used for research must be left over
following fertility treatment and be destined to be discarded. Written
consent from donors would be mandatory. Donors would not receive
compensation. And researchers would have to meet the highest ethical
standards.

The legislation would fill a gap created by the failed policies of the Bush
Administration.

In 2001, the president restricted federal funding to research on stem cell
lines already in existence and set to be discarded. But what was predicted
to be as many as 70 stem cell lines is today only 21. And all of them have
been found to be contaminated and unfit for use in treatment.

Congress passed embryonic stem cell research legislation last year. But
President Bush vetoed it - the first veto of his presidency.

The president's actions put American embryonic stem cell research at a
disadvantage and spurred several top researchers to leave for labs in other
countries.

They include:

-Roger Pedersen, who left University of California, San Diego, in 2002 to
head Cambridge University's stem cell institute.
-Dr. Judith Swain and husband, Dr. Edward Holmes, dean of the University of
California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, who both left San Diego to
work at Singapore's state-funded research institute, Biopolis.
-Internationally renowned cancer geneticists Neal Copeland and Nancy
Jenkins, who also joined Biopolis, turning down offers to work at Stanford
University.
Several states have sought to fill the void created by the Bush
administration's restrictive policies. California is leading the way.
In 2004, California voters approved Proposition 71, creating the California
Institute of Regenerative Medicine, which plans to spend $3 billion on
research grants over 10 years. Last month, this institute approved its first
round of research grants, putting $45 million to 72 embryonic stem cell
research projects throughout the state.

With this action, more money went to embryonic stem cell research in one
day - and in one state - than the National Institutes of Health spent on
this research last year in the entire country.

Other states are pressing ahead on embryonic stem cell research, including
Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey and Maryland. But I believe we need to put
the power of federal funding behind embryonic stem cell research.
Congress and the president have a second chance. I urge the President not to
use his veto power, which would disappoint so many Americans, including Mr.
Bischoff, who became a Parkinson's activist after being diagnosed last year.
"Of all the bills he could veto during his presidency, why this one?" he
asked, referring to last year's action. "It doesn't make any sense to me."
It makes no sense to me, either.
A majority of the American people favor embryonic stem cell research. A
majority in the House recently voted for it. I hope the Senate follows suit,
and that the President has a change of heart. The hopes of millions of
Americans depend on it.
Dianne Feinstein is California's senior U.S. senator.