South Korean Stem Cell Revival
Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance.
After completing the stages of grief, South Korea hopes to again position
itself as a stem-cell powerhouse. Can it regain its pedestal?
Not with cloning. Korean researchers are delving "into new technologies for
creating human stem cells without using embryos," according to Professor Han
Yong-Mahn.
The Korea Times writes:
One is to establish cells that act like stem cells by using spermatozoa _ or
by reversing the differentiation process. The other is to make stem cells
through inter-species somatic cell nuclear transfer.
Details on creating stem cells from spermatozoa are scarce (i.e.,
non-existant), so I am not sure what they're talking about there.
Reversing the differentiation process (dedifferentiation) is a personal
favorite of mine; it's what allows newts and other life forms to regenerate.
Imagine the possibilities.
Inter-species somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) is ... well, you decide.
Instead of using human eggs for cloning, they transplant your DNA into the
egg of an animal (cows, in this instance) and try to create an animal-human
hybrid (chimera) blastocyst, from which to extract the stem cells to treat
you.
Going back to the spermatazoa method they mentioned, they could be talking
about dedifferentiating your sperm. The cells that create your sperm
(spermatogonia) are believed to have the same abilities as embryonic stem
cells. Getting sperm from you would be a lot easier than slicing into your
testicles.
Scientists Seek Alternative Stem Cell Research [The Korea Times]
Posted by Steven Edwards 5:34:42 PM
 Reddit It  Digg This  Add to del.icio.us

What's the big deal about using Human stem cells? Have we lost our sense of
survival?
Why not use Human stem cells to develop urgently needed treatments, and then
consider alternatives to harvesting stem cells?
Posted by: Dr. Joe | Mar 12, 2007 3:37:07 PM

Post a comment
You are currently signed in as (nobody). Sign Out
Name: