Just imagine getting PD at the age of sixteen and being 49 years old now. Don't worry about what others think and focus on the medications and surgeries that we now have available. There are some good ones out there. Do alot of reading and keep informative about the disease. It can be a horribble disease but there are much worst thing that can go wrong and be wrong with you.

Inez PD 33 years

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 8:28 PM
Subject: PD - Pivate Journey Taken Public

Parkinson's Disease
A Very Private Journey Taken Public

Photo by Diana Rose Levine
By Cindy Beth Bittker
Some people get a flashy convertible sports car when they turn 50. Not me. I
got Parkinson's Disease. Actually I was diagnosed the first time at 48, the
second, third and fourth times at 49, and the fifth and final time at 50
when I finally believed that I really have this disease. During this time, I
have been on a very private journey, and oddly, one that I've had to take in
public. This is the kind of disease you just can't hide very well for very
long.
Early on, the symptoms are subtle, and it is was easy to attribute them to
pre-existing problems that logically come about with age. Sometimes I
attributed them to inanimate objects. I had six keyboards replaced because I
thought the left sided keys were sticking down. (Sorry about that, Dell.) It
took me better than a year to realize that the problem was not one of
universal keyboard design.
Parkinson's disease is a slow, progressive degenerative neurological disease
and the symptoms that begin subtly become more pronounced, more pervasive,
more debilitating. At some point my symptoms broke through the denial that
had kept me in keyboards for years.
There is a period of time, a very private and personal time, between
learning that you have a disease like Parkinson's, that is both incurable
and degenerative, and accepting that your future does not look like the
future that you had in mind for yourself. During that period of time, that
transition into acceptance, telling people about your disease is very
difficult, because you see in the faces of the people you tell, the anxiety,
fears and projected life losses that you have not yet fully accepted within
yourself.
Integrating the realities of having a life-changing disease and potentially
life-threatening disease is a very personal and private journey. A very
difficult part of this particular disease, for me, was that as my mind was
taking this journey from denial into acceptance privately, - my body was
taking the journey public.
Hiding the tremors becomes increasingly difficult as the disease progresses.
And the cruel irony of trying to hide the tremor is that nervousness
amplifies tremor significantly. So, if you are self conscious about your
tremor showing, your tremor gets worse. I think it's nature's way of
accelerating the process of getting comfortable with the disease so that you
can go on with your life. And tremor is only one of many other symptoms of
Parkinson's disease, some that other people can see and some they cannot.
It took me several years to get to the point of accepting my diagnosis, and
being able to be open about my disease with people I know, and now even with
people I don't know. Because Parkinson's disease is so personal to me, I
hope to keep a focus on Parkinson's in hullmagazine.com.