Groups make pitches on stem-cell research
Web Posted: 03/08/2007 12:22 AM CST
Gary Scharrer
Austin Bureau
AUSTIN - Separate groups invoking "pro-life" themes carried dramatically
different messages through the Capitol on Wednesday about legislation
allowing embryonic stem cell research in Texas.
Texans for Advancement of Medical Research applauded Rep. Beverly Woolley,
R-Houston, for filing House Bill 2704, which would protect adult and
embryonic stem cell research while banning human cloning and setting ethical
guidelines for stem cell research.
More than 60 House members have signed on as co-sponsors of Woolley's bill.
"Texans want this kind of common-sense legislation, which keeps hope alive
for patients suffering from incurable medical conditions like diabetes and
Parkinson's disease," Woolley said while surrounded by supporters of her
bill.
Elsewhere in the Capitol, scores of "pro-life and respect-life directors" of
Texas' Catholic archdioceses asked lawmakers to support a variety of
anti-abortion-related bills and to oppose legislation allowing embryonic
stem cell research.
"The whole point is that we're here to protect human life. If (embryonic
cells) have been aborted, they would still have the dignity of being a human
being, so we want to protect that," said Peter Monod, director of the Office
of Social Concerns for the Archdiocese of San Antonio. "We need to protect
all human life because if we allow one group of human beings not to be
protected, then everybody's at risk."
Supporters of embryonic stem cell research are misguided, Monod said.
The supporters surrounding Woolley included young children suffering from
juvenile diabetes and two colleagues with disabilities - Rep. Paul Moreno,
D-El Paso, who is paralyzed, and Rep. Rick Hardcastle, R-Vernon, who has
multiple sclerosis.
"We tried to put together a bill that everybody ought to be for because of
where we are in science," said Hardcastle, who lost a daughter to childhood
cancer the same year of his multiple sclerosis diagnosis.
But Virginia Pilkington, a San Antonio mother and schoolteacher who made the
Capitol rounds with other church leaders, said adult stem cell research
offers promising results.
"It's not that the church is against stem cell research. It's embryonic
versus adult," she said. "When you have embryonic research, you are
destroying a human life that has been created by God."