From: "Eugene Gascay" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: DBS in S. CA

Nick,  lived in  Riverside California which is between Corona and San
Bernardino. I spent quite a bit of time checking out the surgery route
since several neurologists recommended that I have that done.
I contacted individuals at the City of Hope, US Irvine, USC, Loma
Linda,and UCLA.  Everyone was happy to have me as a patient but I found
that there  wasn't a viable center where that tytpe of surgery ws was
done. One chair of a department  recommended that a colleague of his do
the work.  When I asked how many operations of this type he had done,
the chair replied that I would  number 6.  Needless to say I walked
out.  Another neuro at USC said that unless my quality of live was
seriously impaired, he would not recommend DBS. Since   moving to
Tennessee in 2004 I was examined at Vanderbilt and was told that  I
would not benefit very much from the surgery.   Even  though I have no
immediate plans for DBS,  I have developed the following guidelines
for use when the time might come.

        1.  The doctors involved should be a part of a team  working in a
Center  that concentrates on D BS.  This means active research
projects, funding, and a good reputation.

        2.   The surgical team should have done many such surgeries.  I
would
feel uncomfortable  with less that  200 but that figure needs to be
placed  in a context of how many are being done each week.
week.
Obviously the more the better.

        3     I would talk with several patients who have been treated by
the
doctor who will do your surgery.  You must have unqualified
recommendations.  Don't be a statistic just to satisfy someone's ego.

        4.    I am a Christian and would prefer someone who prays for me and
is concerned with my soul as well as my body.  However, I believe  the
Lord works through other  talented individuals as well.
                        So make your decision based on specific  criteria
that you and God
talk about.  Our Lord is not afraid give a specific sign.

        5.    Remember, there are many potentially dangerous side effects
that
must be weighed very carefully.  But  don't take council with your
fears.  Do your homework.  Then trust  God, he will not forsake
you
but will give you peace.

I hope these few words have been helpful,

Gene