Thanks Linda.  I've already done the general search on mixed metaphor
and catachresis so I have a general sense of the terms in a literary
context.  They don't exactly capture what I'm looking for--although
your suggestion re: rhetorical device is an avenue yet to be explored.
Thank you again.  I guess one of the challenges with
cross-disciplinary research (and what discourse analysis is accused
of) is not being able to delve too deeply into one theoretical
area...sigh.  Gloria