From: CASLL/Inkshed [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gloria
Michalchuk
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 11:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: dual voicing?

Thank you Jim for taking the time to reply.  Your research sounds very
interesting. I'm not sure if this will help with what you are doing
since it is possibly a repetition of what the rhetoricians are saying,
but I seeing rhetorical duality (which at the lower end of text sounds
very similar to your description of fragmentary logic)that I am
suggesting is a manifestation of examinee-voice (as rhetorical
positioning) within creative texts (stories, diaries, letters) written
in a high-stakes examination context. The results are fascinating and
the text-linguistic analysis supports the  consistent presence of
multi-layered and multi-directional intertextual connections that
simultaneously align with and challenge the discourses embedded at
multi-textual levels in various Examination Texts (such as photos, a
poem, written excerpt, etc).

I'm not a cognitive scientist but I wonder if the multi-directionality
and varying text levels have something to do with the creative process
(the ability to make connections among seemingly unrelated ideas, etc.)?

I think I'll stop at that since I need to finish one thing (like my
dissertation) before I go onto the next fascinating topic.  Thanks for
listening. I look forward to being informed as to your progress in
this area.   Gloria

              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/