A Healing Worthy of a Saint
Nun Says Parkinson's Was Cured Following Prayers to Late Pope
By Molly Moore and Sarah Delaney
Washington Post Foreign Service
Saturday, March 31, 2007; Page A10
PARIS, March 30 -- For months she was known as the "mystery nun," an
unidentified member of a religious order who told a Catholic Church
investigator that she was miraculously cured of advanced Parkinson's disease
after she and other nuns prayed to the late Pope John Paul II.
Her testimony -- describing the kind of medically inexplicable recovery that
could help advance the pontiff toward sainthood -- was published anonymously
on an Italian Catholic Web site. It bore the signature "A French Sister."
Church officials, proceeding with a confidential inquiry into the claims,
refused to name her.
On Friday morning, Sister Marie Simon-Pierre, an unassuming 46-year-old who
works in a Paris maternity clinic, stepped before a bank of microphones on
French national television and, in a voice choked with emotion, declared
that she was the nun.
She described going to bed one night barely able to write or walk and waking
up at 4:30 a.m. fully cured. "All I can say is that I was ill and now I'm
healed," said Sister Marie Simon-Pierre, smiling widely. "Now the church
will decide if it's a miracle."
Church officials said Sister Marie Simon-Pierre's recovery from the advanced
stages of a disease with no known cure could be instrumental in the
canonization process, which can sometimes take centuries to complete but has
been fast-tracked for John Paul.
In Rome on Monday, Sister Marie Simon-Pierre will take part in ceremonies
commemorating the second anniversary of John Paul's death and the completion
of the first phase of efforts to declare the pontiff "blessed," an
intermediate step toward sainthood. This step, known as beatification,
requires confirmation of one miracle brought about by the posthumous
intercession of the candidate.
Calls of "Santo subito," or "Sainthood now," were shouted on the streets
outside St. Peter's Basilica immediately following the death of John Paul on
April 2, 2005. During his 26 years as pope, he traveled extensively and was
among the most popular pontiffs in recent history. Pope Benedict XVI agreed
to expedite the long process usually required to consider individuals for
sainthood, in part because of the enthusiastic support for John Paul from
his native Poland, where the church remains a vibrant institution in
contrast to many other European countries.
Wearing a traditional black and white habit and wire-rimmed glasses, Sister
Marie Simon-Pierre told her story after the newspaper Le Figaro revealed her
identity on Wednesday.
The nun, a member of the order of the Little Sisters of Catholic Motherhood,
said her Parkinson's was diagnosed in June 2001. She said she immediately
felt an emotional kinship with the pope, who also suffered from the
degenerative disease, which attacks the central nervous system.
Over the next four years, her symptoms worsened. By April 2005, she said, "I
was wasting away, day by day." Her writing was barely legible because she
could not control the shaking in her left hand, she stopped driving because
she couldn't control her left leg, and she was constantly exhausted.
When John Paul died, the nun said, "my entire world fell apart. I had lost
the only friend who could understand me and give me strength to go forward."
The nun and other sisters from her community began praying to John Paul to
help heal her. But she only grew worse.

CONTINUED     1    2     Next >