 Thu, Apr 05 2007

Woman to walk for Parkinson's cure
By Michael Mager/Features Editor

When Debbe Woodard of Cleburne does her two-mile walk around the loop
through the middle of New York City's Central Park, she will do it with a
sense of purpose. Woodard, like Michael J. Fox, Muhammad Ali and 1 million
other Americans, suffers from Parkinson's disease. And when she makes that
two-mile walk, she won't be alone.

Thousands of Parkinson's sufferers will participate April 28 in the
Parkinson's Unity Walk, expressing their desire for a cure.

"Of course, I'm looking forward to seeing New York because I've never been
there," said the 60-year-old Woodard, who will be going on the walk with her
daughter. "But I also want to meet other people who are like me. I'd love to
meet other people from around the country or even around the world who have
this disease so that we can communicate even after the event."

Woodard's daughter, Brooke Fisher Morales, was instrumental in her having
the disease diagnosed. The two of them were walking through Hulen Mall in
Fort Worth when Morales noted her mother's reflection in a store window. She
noticed that her mother was walking strangely. Her mother was shuffling her
feet and bumping into things.

"Mom," Morales said, "something's wrong. I want you to see a doctor right
away."

Woodard did.

Parkinson's affects the portion of the brain that coordinates muscular
coordination. The shuffling, odd walk Morales noted is a primary indicator.
Other individuals have tremors in their extremities. Some have both. Woodard's
muscles, she says, "tremble inside me, so I don't have the shaking fingers
that you see in other people."

Her foot is bandaged after a recent surgery, and she uses a wheelchair but
not because she cannot walk. She can, but she trips and stumbles over things
easily - one of the dangers to people with the condition. They break limbs
or worse in falls they cannot control.

"My daughter keeps me pumped up," Woodard said. "It was her idea to go on
this walk in New York. I'm so excited because I've never been there. I can't
wait to see the Empire State Building."

Parkinson's has made the one-time cheerleader into more of an introvert, she
said.

"Since I was diagnosed with Parkinson's, I have found it really hard to
speak in public," she said.

Not too long ago, she and her husband, Jim, went to a support group.

When the main speaker didn't show up, someone had to moderate the meeting.

"I just couldn't do it," Woodard said.

"I could," Jim said. "I never have any problem talking, but since she became
sick, she's just not been the same."

"Even sleeping is difficult," Debbe Woodard added.

The Woodard family hopes people will donate money to the Parkinson's Unity
Walk fund so a cure will be found.

For information, call Woodard at 817-645-7038.

On the Net:
www.unitywalk.org

Michael Mager can be reached at 817-645-2441, ext. 2338,
or [log in to unmask]