The following statement is posted on the White House web site.

Tony Mazzaschi
AAMC

Statement by the President on Stem Cell Research

White House News

Scientists believe that stem cells have the potential for medical
breakthroughs in treating debilitating medical diseases and disorders.
However, the advancement of science and medicine need not conflict with
the ethical imperative to protect every human life. I am a strong
supporter of scientific research -- which is why I authorized the first
federal funding for research on embryonic stem cells, under careful
safeguards, starting in 2001.

My policy unleashed an unprecedented scientific effort using the stem
cell lines my policy approved for funding. While encouraging -- not
banning -- research, my policy also ensures that federal funds are not
used to create incentives to destroy, or harm, or create living human
embryos for purposes of research.

The Senate today voted in support of legislation to overturn these
safeguards. I believe this will encourage taxpayer money to be spent on
the destruction or endangerment of living human embryos -- raising
serious moral concerns for millions of Americans.

Research using human embryonic stem cells is still at an early stage,
and it will be years before researchers know how much promise lies in
therapeutic applications. I believe this early stage is precisely when
it is most important to develop ethically responsible techniques, so the
potential of stem cells can be explored without violating human dignity
and life.

S.5 is very similar to legislation I vetoed last year. This bill crosses
a moral line that I and many others find troubling. If it advances all
the way through Congress to my desk, I will veto it.

Meanwhile, exciting and significant scientific advances have been
reported over the past few years on uses of stem cells that do not
involve the destruction of embryos. These advances using adult and other
forms of stem cells are exciting. Some have even produced effective
therapies and treatments for disease -- all without the destruction of
human life.

The second bill that passed the Senate today, the Hope Act, builds on
this ethically appropriate research by encouraging further development
of these alternative techniques for producing stem cells without embryo
creation or destruction. I strongly support this bill, and I encourage
the Congress to pass it and send it to me for my signature, so stem cell
science can progress, without ethical and cultural conflict.