Sky News
Miracle Stem Cell Cure?
Updated: 11:42, Friday April 13, 2007
An Australian woman who was told she would never walk again after a car
accident, is up on her feet, weeks after getting controversial embryonic
stem cell treatment in India.
Sonya Smith, aged 45, has told Sky News correspondent Alex Crawford her
progress is nothing short of a miracle.
Her own doctors told her to prepare for life in a wheelchair and she spent
18 months desperately trying to get help.
Then she heard about Dr Geeta Shroff in India and flew more than 6,000 miles
from Brisbane to try out the treatment in New Delhi.
Dr Shroff is a one-woman operation who runs a private hospital where she
treats with human embryonic stem cells more than 300 patients who have
varying diseases and problems.

Now, after having about eight weeks of injections, Mrs Smith has regained
bladder and bowel control; her leg muscles are growing and she says she can
feel deep sensation in her thighs and feet.
Despite widespread scepticism, she is convinced: "It is definitely the stem
cells," she says, "I can feel my thighs where before I couldn't."
Dr Shroff's critics think it is too good to be true and the doctor has not
helped herself by refusing to fully explain her technique or how she has
come up with the formula.
They say she is being irresponsible; that with no proper human trials using
human embryonic stem cells is ethically wrong and that she is using her
patients as guinea pigs.

Dr Shroff rejects criticism
Dr Shroff says she has fully documented her findings, that she conforms to
her own country's guidelines and the proof is in her patients.
'These are people who are desperate and who have no hope," Dr Shroff says "I
have given them hope. What is wrong with that?"
Sky News first reported on Dr Shroff's work in January 2006.
We interviewed dozens of her patients and have spoken to many several times
since. None complains of side effects. None has demonstrated any
side-effects and all have shown signs of improvement in their respective
conditions.
Of her 300 patients, more than 50 are spinal cord injuries. Others have
Alzheimers, motor neurone disease, Parkinsons - and all believe they are
improving.
Dr Shroff will not give away her secrets just yet, but if her techniques are
doing what she is claiming, they are a huge breathrough.
So far there are no known human clinical trials using human embryonic stem
cells - Britain is still at the research stage.