I simply want to share with you the comments that I made in calls and emails
to Senators Hillary Clinton and Charles Schumer, my two senators here in NY
State, regarding S.5, a bill now up for a vote, which would provide funding
for crucial medical research now underway.  Please read my comments below,
and if you agree, please call your senators today, and urge them to support
S.5.
 Thank you very much, Gather.

As you know, Senator, stem cell research holds unprecedented potential for
new treatments and cures, which would help millions now suffering with many
diseases.  I am one such person, having been diagnosed with Parkinson's
disease in 2001, at the age of 47.  I understand that there is a bill, S.5,
which includes funding for stem cell research.  Some have moral issues with
some cutting edge research, such as stem cell and nuclear transfer and
tissue replication (so-called cloning techniques).  I favor US government
involvement and funding of such research, in light of the fact that such
research is going to go on, with or without US funding.  I think that the
best way to oversee the process and ensure humane methods is to be involved,
and not to reject and ostracize such important and inevitable work.  But
however stem cells are obtained or produced, it is critical at this time
that maximum funding be awarded to those carrying on this noble and vital
research.  If the emphasis is to be on the living, on life, let it be on
lives now being lived.  People with disease are not cursed or inferior, and
we have the very same rights as anyone else in our land.  Indeed, according
to law, living, breathing, tax-paying citizens are supposed to have rights
which are not extended to biological material, including embryos routinely
discarded by fertility clinics.  To withhold funding from stem cell research
serves no earthly purpose, and it relegates millions of living citizens to a
status somewhat below such medical waste.  This is not fair, and it's not
right.  It's not moral to deny us this opportunity to possibly regain more
healthy, unafflicted lives.
Therefore, I urge you to support S.5, and all other efforts to bring more
support to those engaged in stem cell research, and in other groundbreaking
research which holds so much potential to relieve the suffering of millions
of citizens now alive.  Thank you.