Republican Compromise Measure on ESCR?---I Don't think so!
by fayeforcure
Sun Apr 08, 2007 at 09:15:21 PM PDT
Why does the MSM insist on calling ESCR detour bills:  "compromise"
measures?
The Senate will consider two bills, one virtually identical to a bill vetoed
by President George W. Bush last year that would have expanded and
encouraged federal funding of human embryonic stem cell research.
The other is a compromise measure worked out by Republicans Sen. Johnny
Isakson of Georgia and Norm Coleman of Minnesota. It would encourage stem
cell research on embryos that have naturally lost the ability to develop
into fetuses, such as those that have died "naturally" during fertility
treatments.
Yeah, sure......I know what we are compromising here: it's the lives of
millions of americans who suffer incurable and deadly conditions who simply
cannot afford to wait, while lengthy detours are being worked out which
include funding for various types of adult stem cells instead of legitimate
federal support for embryonic stem cell research.
The complexity of the provisions in S30 is a deliberate attempt to derail
ESCR. And this bill in No Way deserves to be called a "compromise" bill by
the MSM. As a matter of fact we must STOP S 30 altogether. Tell your
Senators you want them to VOTE NO!!
fayeforcure's diary :: ::

Deception, misinformation and delay is the name of the game for the
anti-ESCR folks. These folks have been churning out decoy bills galore in
the past 6 years to block our efforts to overturn the Bush imposed
restrictions on embryonic stem cell research. The newest bill, S 30, is one
that is sponsored by both Isakson and Coleman.
To their credit both have admitted that the current Bush restrictions are
extremely detrimental to the cutting edge science of embryonic stem cell
research and that this science holds enormous promise. Each had already
independently come up with a bill, but Isakson's proposal was merged with
the Coleman "HOPE" bill.
The deception starts with the naming of this bill. Using the term HOPE is
literally offensive if it isn't what the folks with incurable and deadly
conditions actually consider "hope". Those who are really the ones waiting
for hope are siding with the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act S 5. It's
the only bill which will truly expand embryonic stem cell research
immediately.
Why must we continuously cater to the 30% religious extremists while
ignoring the 70% support for unfettered ESCR among the general population?
While the sponsors of S30 claim that their bill would also allow ESCR beyond
Bush's limitations, and Bush has already said he supports their bill, it is
primarily formulated to promote work-arounds to already established ways of
developing ESC lines. The bill is also laden with buzzwords like banking of
amniotic and placental stem cells, clearly intended to divert attention from
the pressing need for embryonic stem cell research funding.
Coleman has said as much: "By intensifying support for nondestructive
alternatives, we can advance medical research in valuable ways while
respecting ethical boundaries."
But it's far more dangerous than that. It could also hold back science for
years to come because of the bill's attempt to codify SCNT as unethical, and
its exclusion of research where "the destruction or discarding of, or risk
of injury to, a human embryo or embryos other than those that are naturally
dead" takes place.
That implies that the current 300+ newer ESC lines were developed
"unethically", and through the Isakson provision scientists now are to sort
through the discards of blastocysts, to select only those which are unviable
in order to derive future ESC lines, which would then be eligible for
federally funded research.
But does it matter whether or not an embryo was viable prior to being
discarded? Even the viable left-over blastocysts from infertility treatments
which are being discarded by the thousands every day,....... become unviable
in the trash.
All these artificial limits are rediculous.
First we had an arbitrary date beyond which we couldn't use any newer and
better stem cell lines in federally funded research per Bush's 2001 decree.
This continues to cause tax payer monies to be wasted on the study of old
pre-2001 embryonic stem cell lines.
Now we face these new restrictions, where scientists would be sorting
through the blastocyst discards from infertility treatments, to find and use
only those blastocysts which were never viable before being
discarded........what the heck?........Trash is trash, and all of it ought
to be recyclable in federally funded research to be turned into life's
treasures: the sought after cures for suffering patients!
As Nancy Reagan has said: "we have waited far too long already"
S 30 is a disasterous bill, and offers nothing more than a deadly detour to
true ESCR.
Please call to ask your Senator to oppose S 30 and support S 5.
And all of us ought to call Senators Casey and Sununu, to ensure that we get
a veto proof majority on S 5.
None of us want to wait until 2008 to get the kind of President who will
listen to 70% of the american population by signing the Stem Cell Research
Enhancement Act into law. So getting a veto proof majority on S 5 right now
is the ONLY way to go to get federally funded ESCR started in earnest before
2008.
Tags: stem cell research, Bush, Coleman, Isakson, hope, cures, veto (all
tags)