Greg, I agree with you completely on a DBS, I have seen wonderful successes
and I have seen and heard horror stories.  Brig would not finally consent  to
one, even though we had done most of the pre-op work until the dementia
started to show up, and that disqualified him.     It is a 50-50  chance, and as
you mentioned, this is not a cure.
First, if you are even considering this type of procedure, you better go to
the very best surgeon who had done hundreds of these and from my
understanding,  you must have the best computer tech who maps your brain.
Just my quick thoughts, Brig is still hanging in there, and to add some
interest to our lives, my 91 year old mother just had a stroke.
Gerry