Very upsetting.Disagreeing is one thing,but to manipulate the political process in this way  was
  inhumane.Such actions should not be allowed.Hopefully, there is awareness.of such behavior.

  Lorraine Jeffe
rayilynlee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  CONSIDER WHAT HAPPENED TO NINA BROWN WHEN SHE WENT TO AUSTIN TO TESTIFY FOR
ESCR BEFORE STATE AFFAIRS COMMITTEE: She was made to wait until 2AM in the
morning to testify. Ray

April 13, 2007

Honorable Speaker Tom Craddick
Texas House of Representatives
P O Box 2910
Austin, Texas 78768-2910

Dear Speaker Craddick,

I write on behalf of myself, a pro stem cell advocate, and several Texas
constituents who attended the State of Affairs committee meeting on April
12, 2007. I believe you and all house members would want to know how the
spirit of decency and democracy were violated, in particular, by committee
chairman, Representative David Swinford.

On the morning of April 12, expert witnesses and advocates from all over the
state arrived at the Capitol to give testimony before the State Affairs
committee. The committee's only agenda was to discuss bills regarding stem
cell research. It was, in fact, Representative Swinford who requested expert
witnesses, because the hearing was to be educational in its tenor.

When the committee re-convened at 10:30 p.m. HB 3678, a bill pending in
committee was
introduced. By this time all the expert witnesses, most of whom had traveled
from other cities to present testimony and who had waited all day and into
the night to testify, and many advocates who were there to support bills
that were pro stem cell research were forced to wait another 3 hours. Many
of them were gone when the stem cell bills were finally heard beginning
around 1:30 AM.

People at the hearing were told that HB 3678 (a right to
religious expression in school bill) would take precedence and would be the
first order of discussion. Witnesses who gave testimony on this bill were
told to take as much time as they needed. Children ten years of age and
younger gave testimony and recanted stories of their kindergarten
experiences. The atmosphere in the hearing room took on a circus-like tone.
One witness was allowed to testify for 45 minutes.

The committee did not discuss the stem cell research bills until 1:30 a.m.
Friday morning. Representative Swinford was told by Representative Byron
Cook that advocates in the audience had health conditions and should be
given consideration to speak first. Representative Swinford ignored
Representative's Cook plea. A woman who drove from Houston and who is
afflicted with Parkinson's was kept waiting in her seat until 2:00 am.
Friday morning. When she rose to testify her trek to the podium was a
difficult maneuver, and she could not have made it without the assistance of
her husband.

I consider Representative Swinford's decision to delay her
testimony an act of human cruelty and not worthy of an elected official's
conduct. Because of his handling of the schedule and his refusal to create a
fair process by limiting all testimony to a standard length of time, there
were not expert witnesses available when committee members began asking
scientific questions. This was in spite of the fact that the clerk of the
committee had been informed of all the expert witnesses' time constraints.
His disingenuous and transparent attempt to discourage and silence pro stem
cell supporters was shameful. The hearing adjourned at 5:30 a.m.

I am new to the political advocacy process and will not be deterred from
speaking and making my voice heard. However, after the State Affairs
hearing, I truly believe a marginally committed person might have been
easily manipulated into thinking that our government process is a vehicle
for those in power to do as they please, without any ramifications or
accountability for their actions. I believe in our system and in our elected
officials to do what is just and in the best interest of the state of Texas.
My 17 year old son testified Friday morning at 1:30 a.m. It was his first
"hands on" introduction to the political process, and even he could see the
blatant abuse that occurred. The hearing was not an example of democracy at
its finest.

In your position as elected Speaker of the Texas House your influence on
process as well as policy is wide ranging. I hope that you will take this
information and use it to remind those holding chairmanships in the Texas
House that this is America where all citizens have the right and the duty to
participate in the political process. Thank you for your consideration of
this matter.

Sincerely,

Laura Templeton
5802 Lookout Mountain Dr
Austin, TX 78731-2618

Judith Haley
President,
Texans for Advancement of Medical Research
P O Box 19543
Bellaire, Texas 77401

Nina Brown
Vice-President,