I have no idea why all these messages are coming to my mailbox instead
of going to listserv.

In fact, that's exactly what I was trying to articulate, Theresa: I
don't think using the term "plagiarism" for every occasion is going to
help. I think it's important to understand what is happening in each
particular case and why it is happening, and then work with it (or work
to prevent it if necessary). I don't find general advice on "how to
avoid plagiarism" helpful.

Natasha