Russ Hunt wrote:

>My "solution," such as it is, is this: more on-site, immediate,
>used-and-discarded writing (anybody know the term "inkshed"?);
>more extremely specific, purpose- and occasion-driven writing of
>explanations, reports, persuasions; more immediate and unique
>writing occasions . . . and _way_ fewer formal essays, even when
>accompanied by outlines, research notes, drafts, etc. And even
>fewer occasions than that on which writing is evaluated and the
>value "counted" toward a "mark."

Indeed, I use inkshedding very actively in my graduate classes and it
works marvels BUT
I still had that one student who copied. And once she's been given an
opportunity to revise, she copied again
 (well, less that the first time, but still). The question is , why? The
first time she said she had no time to finish
and just "put something together." But the second time? No lack of
sophisticated discussion of discourse community/community of
practice (and, in fact, they did their own research that involved these
concepts). I am still puzzled by this case.

Natasha