Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Plagiarism & Dead Poets]
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 09:47:07 -0600
From: Gloria Michalchuk <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

I've been away and have just returned to reading the discussion.  I'm
wondering Natasha if you could tell me which novel has the disclaimer?
  The reason I ask, and it perhaps touches on Charlotte's question
regarding the boundary between academic and "creative" writing and her
own process of poetry writing, is that examinees writing story
prose-forms in the Alberta ELA examination contain ingenious displays
of "unmarked quotation".  I found the linguistic concept of unmarked
quotations, which in many cases are full sentences, extremely helpful
in analyzing their rhetorical functions.  To suggest that these
sentences were "copied" (and thus, plagiarized) just doesn't work
since overall, the responses were so incredibly diverse and
rhetorically rigorous (or not). I realize the reader-response type of
writing is produced in an assessment context but it certainly
highlights an interesting intersection- plagiarism meets creativity.

I'm wondering what kind of looks I would receive if I used this
terminology and asked "Now, what was your reason for not marking
this(or embedding this unmarked) quotation?" "What rhetorical purpose
does it serve?" Although I'm attempting to add humour to the
plagiarism debate, I often initiate plagiarism discussions with a
intertextual and rhetorical-function approach.  It re-frames the
embarrassing "plagiarism" tango and transforms it to a
"language-learning and writing" rhumba and occasionally, a creative
free-dance. As discussed by others, students often move to a "no
time", "desperation to get into the business faculty" or "But they
write it so well, so much better than I could"  beat.  More often than
not, at least with the international students that I taught, the
rhythm slowed to a " I have a general idea that the meaning or main
point is somewhere in the unmarked paragraph or two..."  These
those who handed in a paper-mill essay, well, there was always that
final do-or-die, pass or fail English-proficiency exam.  Gloria