Hi colleagues.  Here's an intriguing paper at the upcoming Congress in
Saskatoon that CASLL members may be interested in reading online, or
attending.
It's being presented at the meetings of the Canadian Society for the
Study of Higher Education.

Plagiarism and Writing Assessment

Kirk McDermid,

Dept. of Philosophy & Religion,

Montclair State University

/Abstract:  /Arguments discouraging plagiarism typically focus on the
ethical basis for crediting authorship, or the risk.  But students are
often unimpressed, especially when the stakes are high: the rewards can
always potentially outweigh the risks.  I argue that the problem with
most such arguments is their implicit or explicit /affirmation/ of
plagiarism itself: they acknowledge that it is /an effective tactic/.
To effectively reduce plagiarism, and restore the intent and purpose of
student writing, we need to adopt philosophies of writing assessment
that establish plagiarism as an /ineffective/ tool, rather than a
risky-but-effective one.

The full paper is posted online at
http://umanitoba.ca/outreach/csshe/Conf/conf.html  click on "McDermid"

--