Here's a slightly different perspective--and one that I think embodies
what our students go through (and that I have experienced trying to
prepare my own teaching dossier).  It's an unfamiliar genre and there's
a lot of fear about "doing it right."  It's not that we don't care
about our work, but that we want to share it in a way that's accepted
by the institution.  I'm not convinced those job applicants that Rob
referred to thought of it as plagiarizing.  I'm inclined they were
trying to fit in in the same way that we ask our students to.  Hence,
the same results.
Miriam