What probably bothers me more than plagiarism is the plethora of
"Custom Essay" mills. Most of my students who have trouble are
somewhere in the grey zone of "plagiphrasing" -- they haven't really
learned to handle sources, or they lack the linguistic savvy to really
handle the complexity of the material they're trying to work with. In
these cases, I try to capitalize on the teaching moment and work with
the student to understand what the meaning of source use is, and what
thoughtful interrogation of sources entails.  The actual plagiarism
cases are fairly rare.

However, we have a huge problem in Toronto with the availability of
writers for hire.  I've never caught one of these, but I've sure been
suspicious on a number of occasions when students produce work that
seems far above any previously demonstrated ability. Anybody have a
solution to that problem?

Rob