Russ said:

Increasingly, as a teacher
of literate discourse, I see my central and most important job
as helping students learn how to bring other voices into their
own discourse.

I'm all for this. I'd love to hear other people's strategies for
guiding students into using the mosaic of voices that make up academic
discourse within their own writing.

In my own context, teaching engineering students about research
writing, I do some very close examinations of literature reviews --
from theses, from articles -- and actually look at the sources the
writers have used too. That way, we can see how the original author
has been brought into quotation in the new work. This has been
effective for the most part, though my students (mostly  3rd yr, very
bright engineering students headed for graduate work) still struggle
with how to find their own voice in research writing. It is this
latter that often leads to the plagiphrasing, or imitation.

What do others do to teach students source handling?

Rob