Time Magazine
Wednesday, May. 02, 2007

In addition to Michael J Fox, also on Time's 100 Most influential
People list:

Douglas Melton
By Michael J. Fox

In 50 years' time, Doug Melton's inclusion on this list will probably
seem prescient. By then, wherever the field of stem-cell research may
stand, we will surely have gained the clarity required to look back
and recognize the scientific heroes who believed in its
transformative potential—and refused to let its promise go
unfulfilled.

To anyone touched by illness or injury, a scientist who goes out in
search of a cure always looks heroic, as Doug surely does. But his
journey is personal as well as professional. As co-director of the
Harvard Stem Cell Institute, he is motivated to fulfill the promise
of embryonic stem cells by his son, who suffers from diabetes. Every
day, Doug is on the front lines of the war not only against disease
but also against the obstacles placed in the path of the science. And
he has demonstrated that he has what it takes to advance this
campaign. When President Bush cut federal funding of embryonic-stem-
cell research in 2001, Doug used private donations to create more
than 100 stem-cell lines and distributed them without charge to
researchers across the country. He has the skill and creativity to
carry out the experiments that need to be done, and the vision and
compassion to know that true humanity lies in relieving human
suffering, not in acquiescing to politics or ideology.

Doug, 53, would be the first to agree that breakthroughs are never
the responsibility of one person alone. Christopher Reeve once
remarked, "When President Kennedy said we would go to the moon, we
had the vision but not the technology. Today we have the technology
and not the vision." Doug Melton has dedicated his life to the
realization of both. I proudly join with millions of others in saying
thank you.

Actor Fox is a campaigner for aggressive stem-cell research
Find this article at:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/time100/article/1,28804,1595326
_1595329_1616837,00.html