that I would go on in spite of it. Please read and give your feedback on
this blog. If you leave comments at the conclusion of an article, I will
reply to each and every one. Your support is really appreciated!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007
"Parkinson's Plus Me" Blog: Seeking to Help and Educate
Parkinson's Plus shares many common symptoms and attributes with Parkinson's
Disease, and yet there are a number of significant differences. Parkinson's
Plus conditions are similar to Parkinson's Disease because they are
neuro-degenerative in nature, but affect a number of functions that also
originate from a variety of brain dysfunctions.
Parkinson's Disease is largely a disease of the Basal Ganglia, and
specifically the Substantia Nigra, which is the neurological center of
physical movements. Parkinson's Plus conditions typically have a Basal
Ganglionic involvement, but other areas such as the Cerebellum and the
Brainstem may be affected, in addition. Both are types of movement disorders
that stem from the degeneration of brain structures and result in
malfunctions that affect movement, coordination, cognition, and balance.
The Parkinson's Plus conditions include Multiple Systems Atrophy,
Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Corticobasal Ganglionic Degeneration. In
the column on the right I have uploaded a feature called "Movement Disorder
Links" that will provide you with great websites that explain these
differences, as well as the similarities.
Like many patients with Parkinson's Plus, my condition started out looking
like a possible case of Parkinson's Disease, in part, because I had an
obvious "resting tremor." To date, the specific "Plus" disease I have is yet
to be determined (a subject of frustration, although most cases of
Parkinson's take up to two years to be diagnosed).
On this blog I periodically write featured articles focused on these and
other similar conditions, as well as my own reactions and notes describing
my personal experiences, such as: the various diagnostic procedures (which
are many), resulting physical issues, cognitive changes, and life
adjustments that result.
Thank you for visiting and for reading. I welcome your comments and
questions. -- Patient On-line
Posted by Patient on-line at 4:24 PM
Labels: Multiple Systems Atrophy, Parkinson's Disease, Parkinson's Plus,
Progressive Supranuclear Palsy