Two phase II trials  of CoEnzyme Q10 to test for possible  neuroprotection have been completed:

(1) The NINDS Neuroprotection (NET PD)study to assess the impact of CoQ10 and GPI 1485 on the progression of Parkinson's disease, in order to determine whether it is reasonable to proceed with further study of either of these agents.

(2) The QE3 study compared the effects of varying dosage of coenzyme Q10 versus a placebo in the treatment of Parkinson's disease (PD) in patients with early, untreated PD. Completed in 2003 (Shults).

Both studies were expected to go to phase III trials, however both were delayed, while researchers are studying the effect of higher doses of CoQ10 on animals. For more information on these trials see the Parkinson's Pipeline Database : www.pdpipeline.org

This new study seems to have studied CoQ10's effect on symptoms, rather than on neuroprotection. It's a good question to ask - why they started at such a low dose. The full journal article may contain the answer.

Linda Herman

www.pdpipeline.org

-- Paul Lauer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
What am I missing here? Don't we already have a study with 1200 mg/day with
interpreted positive results? Isn't someone or some agency now talking about
doing a study with an even higher concentration? Why was this study of 300
mg/day conducted? To get a headline? Sure caught my eye, especially since I have
been paying the freight for the purchase of a 1200 mg/day dose.

Paul H. Lauer
PD 8+ years