# 335 Friday, May 25, 2007 -   M FOR MINNESOTA: The Great Stem Cell Phone
Book Controversy

"The telephone book is the advocate's most powerful weapon", I said to Amy
Daly the other day, philosophizing over a sandwich. Amy Daly is of course
the executive director of Americans for Cures, and as she only had her ear
phones on, and the computer screen was lit up to an email, I figured she
wasn't too busy.

"I disagree", she said, continuing to type, "The most important element is
passion for the cause."

Aha, a controversy!

Yesterday, under "M" I found--  MINNESOTA

With my highly-developed organizational skills, I listed people from
Minnesota in the "M" section of my phone book.

People like Minnesota advocate Jackie Christensen, supporter of stem cell
research, fighting for cure-- not only for Parkinson's, but for all disease
and disability. If you read transcripts of hearings in favor of stem cell
research in Minnesota, you will find Jackie there, patient, determined.

Jackie supports a proposed law in Minnesota, HF 34/SF 100:  a permissions
bill for SCNT and ESCR, state funding allowed but no amount stated.

It should have had money included; still, this is a good bill.

On April 25, 2007, the Minnesota Senate gave preliminary approval to it,
36-26 in favor. In a familiar pattern, almost all Democrats voted yes for
the stem cells, almost all Republicans voted no-and another Republican,
Governor Tim Pawlenty, was expected to veto it.

Pawlenty is one of those smiling politicians who says "Oh, I support stem
cell research!" while talking to the press or the voters, but keeps his
fingers crossed behind his back. Turns out, he really only supports stem
cell research on cells that are "legally dead". (How do you tell if a
blastocyst's stem cells are legally "dead"? Nobody is sure-and if you as a
scientist guess wrong, Governor Pawlenty would like to throw you in jail for
a couple years.)

And Senator Norm Coleman: to my mind, Coleman is waaay out there and he
knows how to make the most severe anti-science restrictions sound almost
helpful; this is the guy who dreamed up the phony "Hope" Act, S 30, to try
and ban government funding for SCNT and new embryonic stem cell lines.
Coleman is the "excuse man" for the opposition, so enemies of the research
like Governor Pawlenty can pretend to be supporters-"Oh, I support stem cell
research, of course I do, really!" -while being about as anti-science as the
Flat Earth Guild.

But back to the good guys.

Folks like:

Sarah Youngerman -communications director at the University of Minnesota and
hard-working member of the CAMR board;

Peter Morton, long-time friend and son of the legendary advocate Patricia
Morton, Peter has a foundation, the Morton Cure Paralysis Fund;

Dr. Dan Kaufman, the great scientist, working to fight cancer;

Key Politicians: Sen. Richard Cohen, Sen.  Ron Latz, Sen. Ann Lynch,
Rep. Phyllis Kahn, and more, united in the cause of stem cell research;

Did you know about Students for Stem Cell Research? Minnesota's chapter of
this incredibly valuable advocacy group of new scientists is led by Matt
Hanzlik, an energetic freshman.

For the future, we must remember Mike Hatch, a strong supporter of stem cell
research who ran against Pawlenty for Governor. Hatch lost by the slimmest
of margins-we hope he will not stay away from government.

Someone else to keep in mind is Al Franken,  running against Norm Coleman;
Al Franken of course is a comedian, like Mark Twain, and it may be difficult
for people to take him seriously because he can make you laugh; but Franken
is for real, a serious research supporter.

Adult stem cell expert Katherine Verfaille still holds a faculty position at
the University of Minnesota, (UMN), though she now lives primarily in
Belgium. Dr. Verfaille is of course world renowned, supporting research on
both embryonic and adult stem cells.

And UMN itself, the University of Minnesota: the people of Minnesota love
their state university, rightly taking pride in this beacon of light.

UMN has a training program for embryonic stem cell research!  Funded by
private donations, the University is staunchly going ahead: not waiting for
the day when government finally does its duty.

One of the key leaders at UMN is Dr. Meri Firpo, veteran  researcher from
California-Dr. Firpo is one of the earliest pioneers in the field, a
contemporary of Wisconsin's James Thomson.  She derived many of the original
stem cell lines in America.  Not only that, but she can talk about it in
understandable language.  If you ever get a chance to hear her speak, don't
miss it.

And that is just M for Minnesota!  (Not to mention I probably left out a
couple hundred important stem cell advocates-sorry!)

So, back to the thundering controversy: which is more important, passion or
the phone book?

Without my little phone book, I would be lost. What would I do, yell out the
window, hey, everybody, support stem cell reeeeeesearrrrrrrch!!!---? I know,
I know, use the computer-but I like something I can physically hold in my
hands, or stuff in a briefcase, take along with me, not have to plug it in.

The phone book is power: it unites friends from everywhere.

But Daly's right, of course: without passion, the driving will to move
ahead, the biggest phone book in the world is just paper and ink.

Maybe we should compromise, call it the power/passion telephone book.

By Don Reed
www.stemcellbattles.com