"Prevalence of PD"Dan sent me this question which I am not qualified to answer.   Perhaps someone on the List who is knowledgeable about PD meds can be of help.
Ray
----- Original Message -----
From: Dan McRight
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:35 PM
Subject: "Prevalence of PD"

In 1995, I was placed on selegiline 5 mg qd to treat "temper flares" associated with my adult ADD after several attempts to treat it with various blood pressure medicines all produced undesired side effects. I gradually stopped it except for prn use when under stress after about eight years.

When I was diagnosed with PD in August, 2006, another neurologist immediately put me on the same medication, initially prescribed bid. There was near immediate relief of L sided stiffness and bradykinesia.  When I began to have weird dreams, I reduced dosage to qd inn the morning and the dreams stopped without exacerbation of symptoms.

I was fascinated with the reference to MAO inhibitor use triggering PD since selegiline is a MAO B inhibitor.  As a former Director of Psychiatry and Addiction (non-M.D.), I have wondered about this association.

I would be interested in any further references you may have to this possible connection.  At this point my symptoms are slight:  some bradykinesia, loss of some fine motor control in L hand, some stiffness, and at first not swinging my L arm when walking, but no resting tremor.

If this is a causal connection, what is the preferred treatment?

Thanks.  You may share this on the listserve or however you see fit.
--
Dan
Dan A. McRight