From: kaisernetwork.org Daily Report

Harkin Calls on Senate Panel To Reject NIH Budget Reduction

 Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, HHS, Education and
Related Agencies Chair Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) on Monday at a hearing
said that the subcommittee should reject a proposal from President
Bush to reduce the NIH budget in fiscal year 2008, CongressDaily
reports (Edney, CongressDaily, 5/22). Bush has proposed to reduce the
NIH budget to $28.6 billion in FY 2008 from $28.9 billion in FY 2007
(Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report, 4/23).

Harkin and subcommittee ranking member Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) have
said that they will seek to prevent the proposed reduction in the NIH
budget. At the hearing, Anthony Fauci, director of the National
Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, said that additional
funds for NIH could help with efforts to develop a vaccine to protect
against a flu pandemic.

Patricia Grady, director of the National Institute of Nursing
Research, said that additional funds for NIH could allow the
institute to train more faculty members for nursing schools, which
last year had to reject 42,000 potential students because of a
faculty shortage. According to John Niederhuber, director of the
National Cancer Institute, the institute would have to reduce
clinical trials by 5% in FY 2008 in the event that the budget remains
the same. Harkin said, "In all these areas, NIH continues to do
really good work even though they got tight budgets, but I think what
I take from this is the fact that if we were to give them the
increases that we should be giving them, that we're really on the
cusp of some really important breakthroughs" (Edney, CongressDaily,
5/22).
kaisernetwork.org -- a free service of the Kaiser Family Foundation --
 provides in-depth coverage of health policy news, debates and
discussions to policymakers, the media and general public.