Fresh health fears hit benzoate in soft drinks

By Chris Mercer

29/05/2007 - Common preservative sodium benzoate, used widely in soft drinks
and other foods, is again at the centre of health concerns after research
emerged linking it to cell damage.

News of the research, conducted by professor Peter Piper at the University
of Sheffield, prompted prominent UK politician Norman Baker to call for an
immediate inquiry into the safety of sodium benzoate in foods.

Professor Piper's research, which suggests benzoate contributes to faster
ageing and degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's, increases the pressure
on soft drinks makers to find alternative ways to preserve their products.

But Richard Laming, of the British Soft Drinks Association, defended the
industry's continued use of sodium benzoate. "It is approved for use by the
Food Standards Agency and we follow the guidance of the regulatory
authorities."

He said sodium benzoate was the "most effective preservative currently
authorised". It is used widely in soft drinks and was included in 44 new
food and drink products across the UK over the last year, according to data
from Mintel's Global New Product Database.

Yet it is the third time in around 12 months that sodium benzoate, also
known as E211 in the EU, has been publicly linked with health concerns.

Last year, an investigation by BeverageDaily.com revealed soft drinks
industry leaders had known the preservative may break down to form benzene,
a potentially cancerous chemical, in drinks also containing ascorbic acid
(vitamin C) or citric acid.

And more recently, sodium benzoate was one of seven 'E-numbers' again linked
to behavioural problems in children.

"We are feeding very large amounts of preservatives like this to children.
Is this a completely safe practice? I think the question has to be put
there," said Professor Piper, in an interview with BeverageDaily.

He said some children's livers were "working overtime" to process amounts of
sodium benzoate entering their bodies.

Piper, an expert in molecular biology and biotechnology, tested benzoate on
yeast cells in his lab. He found the preservative spurred an increase in
production of oxygen radicals, or free radicals, which several studies have
linked to serious illnesses and ageing in general.

In his study, first completed in 1999, benzoate appeared to attack the
'power station' of the cells, known as the mitochondria. They damaged its
ability prevent the oxygen leaks that create free radicals. Too much alcohol
is thought to inflict similar damage.

Yeast cells were used because of their similarity to human ones, but no
research on humans has been done.

"I suspect that it does not increase production of free radicals so that
levels are going up dramatically. And the body has very successful systems
for mopping up 99 per cent free radicals."

"But it is that one per cent that could be the problem. Over the longer
term, this is a major component of why we age and why we progressively lose
function."

Professor Piper called for new safety tests on sodium benzoate taking into
account a growing body of science on free radicals.

And he advised soft drinks firms to put more resources into alternative
preservation methods. "I understand industry concerns about shelf life, but
they have to ask - is this [sodium benzoate] completely necessary?"

The UK Food Standards Agency (FSA) reviewed professor Piper's original 1999
study but found its relevance to humans was "unclear".

Richard Laming, of the British Soft Drinks Association, said: "The FSA has
assured us that the apparent concerns regarding sodium benzoate have already
been investigated and it sees no reason to change its view that sodium
benzoate is safe."

Most major supermarkets, including Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco, will remove
artificial additives from their private label soft drinks by this summer.
Their actions reflect a general drift towards natural ingredients in the
soft drinks industry.

New industry guidance on benzene in drinks, published last summer, asks
firms to consider removing sodium benzoate from products where possible.

Laming said decisions to remove sodium benzoate stemmed from consumer demand
for products without the preservative, as well as other artificial
additives, and not from any safety concerns.