The Inkshed Listserv on Voice (a selection)

Date:         Sun, 19 Mar 1995 10:07:24 MST
From: Doug Brent <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      "Voice"
I'm trying to put my finger on some of the literature that's come out since
the 70's on authorial "voice." In particular I'm interested in specific
material on how a writer manages voice in a text, what it means to have an
authentic voice etc. A lot of this grows out of the expressivist school,
but the concentration of "voice" as a root metaphor then seems to me to go
underground. The metaphor shifts from voice to rhetorical situation,
audience etc. The emphasis on persona as "speaker" gets a bit fuzzy. Any
suggestions on where the idea of writer as metaphorical "speaker" crops up
in later literature?