Sunday, June 10, 2007
Let's talk about Parkinson's Disease
I was diagnosed a few months ago with PD. It was really a revelation to me
because I also have MS. Consequently, alot of the symptoms I have I thought
were due to MS. I developed a tremor in my right hand and spasms so bad that
I had difficulty working and resting. For awhile I thought for sure that I
would have to stop working. Then, there it was, PD. A new illness that I had
to accept into my life. With MS, I had visions of eventually looking like
Annette Funiciello when she would be seen on television. That didn't happen,
but it was pretty frightening. With PD, I then saw myself as Michael J. Fox
with his symptoms so obvious and again frightening. I remember thinking to
myself how awful for him and his family to have to go through that. Well,
hello, I didn't have to wait too long. I have been lucky so far, because
with medication I am pretty much in good shape. My symptoms worsen if I over
do physically and don't get enough rest. I know all the things I should be
doing to help myself, but there's another part of me that tells me to just
go and do what I want. Certainly I have some limitations, but my theory is,
if I am feeling really good today, then I take full advantage of it and do
probably more than I should, but let me tell ya. It feels so good..So good
to not let any of this get the better of me. Take the bull by the horns, so
the speak, and shake it up a little. It' s a good day every day. It 's a
good day when I can beat my symptoms again and again. I can rest tomorrow.

Posted by dlani at 8:35 AM