Thursday, June 7, 2007
I wish President Bush could truly be affected by the life of someone with a
disability or illness that could be cured by stem cells before he would veto
the stem cell bill. Not just meet them, know them.
I wish he could meet my mom who struggles each day with simple tasks like
making dinner and still goes to work even though disability is available to
her. I wish he could understand Multiple Sclerosis.
I wish he could meet Mr. Williams who still volunteers at swim meets even
though he has to do it from a wheelchair. I wish he could watch the way he
so quickly went from being able bodied to confined to a chair. I wish he
could understand Parkinson's.
What would happen if President Bush had been affected by a possibly curable
disease? Then what? Would he say that he'll give up cancer treatment for
himself because tax payers had to pay too much to develop treatments?
What if he had MS like the president on the West Wing? Would he veto it
then?
I wish he could understand how worth while it is for tax payer's money to go
toward cures for Americans and others around the world. I hate it that he's
spent billions of dollars and cost many lives to fight for freedom for the
people in Iraq. Why won't he spend money to help free people at home from
their difficulties?
I'm only 16 and there's not much I can do about it. My senator is to busy
running for president to care about my letters and I think my
representatives are sick of hearing from me.
On the other hand, I'm 16 years old and there is plenty I can do. I can wear
my MS hope bracelet and answer every question I am asked, I can volunteer at
MS Walks and fundraisers, and I can be supportive of everyone I know who is
living with disease, not dying from it. I can get a cart for the handicapped
man at Walmart and I can help the paralyzed man into the water while I'm
life guarding. I'm determined to do all I can for those in my community who
need me.

I ask that you consider everyone you know in your life who could be cured by
stem cells and remember that cord blood is used just as much or more than
embryos.
I ask that you research stem cells and form an opinion you can stick with
and fight for, no matter if it's for or against the research and use of
them.
I ask that you do as much as you can for the disabled person you meet and
remember that they could be having a good day, so don't MS it up!
Posted by Chlorinated Nurse Hopeful at 2:57 PM