[log in to unmask] writes:

I have  read several accounts transplant recipients who suddenly develop  new
appetites for certain foods.  In one instance, the patient was  able to
discuss this with a donor family - who relayed that the donor had  always
loved said food.  Other changes in behavior have been noted by  recipients -
none of them negative.

Of course, when organs are  transplanted there is a whole host of new genetic
information that is  transplanted as well - so the experiment is already in
progress, and has  been for some time.
----------
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 67/27  with PD)
www.bentwillowfarm.org
Subject: GENE THERAPY: Going too  Far?

> It's time to stir up some of those stagnant brain cells.  If so moved (and
> without argument), please respond with your views on  this:
> (Excerpts are listed below - follow the link for the entire  article)
> Peggy
>
>  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062802046.html
>
>  Scientists Report DNA Transplant
> Organisms Adopt Donor  Traits
>
> By Rick Weiss
> Washington Post Staff  Writer
> Friday, June 29, 2007; Page A03
>
> Scientists said  yesterday that they had transplanted a microbe's entire,
> tangled mass  of DNA into a closely related organism, a delicate operation
> that  cleanly transformed the recipient from one species into the other.
> * *  *
> "This is equivalent to changing a Macintosh computer into a PC  by
> inserting
> a new piece of [PC] software," said study leader  J. Craig Venter, chief
> executive of Synthetic Genomics, a Rockville  company racing to be the
> first
> to create fully synthetic,  replicating cells.
>
> The success confirms that chromosomes can  survive transplantation intact
> and
> literally rewrite the  identity and occupation of the cells they move into.
> That is a crucial  finding for scientists who hope to make novel life forms
> by packing  synthetic chromosomes into hollow, laboratory-grown cells.
> * * *  *
> The total identity makeover, described in yesterday's online edition  of
> the
> journal Science, is a modern version of work done in  the 1940s, when
> Rockefeller University scientists moved DNA from one  strain of a bacterial
> species to another, causing a change that was  passed to its offspring.
> That
> work is enshrined in history  books as the first proof that DNA is the
> chemical carrier of genetic  information.
>
> Similarly, scientists at Harvard University  earlier this month reported
> they
> had performed "whole genome"  transplants from mouse cells into fertilized
> mouse eggs, a move that  reprogrammed those eggs to behave differently.
>
> But the new  work, done at the J. Craig Venter Institute in Rockville, is
>  the
> first in which the entire genetic load from one species has  been
> transferred
> to another species "naked" -- without the  cumbersome protein coatings that
> usually envelop DNA and can get in  scientists' way.
>
> Moreover, the size of the transplanted  genome, about 1 million genetic
> letters, or "bases," is large. That  offers hope that complicated genetic
> programs requiring lots of DNA  code will be transplantable.
> * * * *
> The organisms he is  working with do not cause disease, he said, and could
> be
> [...]

I've heard of that - I suspect that someone has told the recipient about  the
donor's preferences and imagination does the rest.