this article isn't about gene therapy, but gene therapy could theoretically
enhance your sense of smell.   it probably couldn't get as good as a
bloodhound's though.   the flip side of dogs sniffing around a lot is that
we're always looking at things.  even if we do smell something we don't pay
that much attention to it.  one experiment you could try is blindfold
yourself and wear earplugs for a weekend.   it might make you use your sense
of smell.   also i've noticed that if i'm really hungry i start to notice
smells of food where ever they are.